LOGANVILLE-SPRINGFIELD PTO MINUTES
Monday, November 4, 2013
CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- The PTO welcomed District Superintendent Dr. Ronald Dyer and members of the school board – Steve Bentzel, Ron Blevins, Sue Heistand, Don Jasmann, Bill Lytle, and Kristen Phillips-Hill.
- Dr. Dyer discussed the district’s Code of Ethics, Comprehensive Planning Strategy, and the merger of Dallastown Area Educational Foundation with Dallastown Area Dollars for Scholars. Dr. Dyer also reviewed the new administration structure, 2013-2014 calendar and explained the new three-hour delay policy. His presentation closed with an interactive activity seeking ideas and topics of discussion from those in attendance that the board can take back for review.
- Deposits for the Jog-A-Thon and Sweet Frog were received.
- Upcoming expenses include funding for the Holiday Breakfast & Secret Shop.
- Thank you cards from Mr. Larry regarding the recent passing of his wife.
- Spirit Wear:
- An email will be sent Tuesday or Wednesday with ordering information. Online ordering will be open until Nov 20 with product delivery before holiday break.
- Store Rebates:
- Over $3,000 worth of Box Tops and Campbell’s labels were collected during the recent collection period. Mrs. Cummings’ class collected the most number of Box Tops and Mrs. Messina’s class collected the most labels..
- Holiday Breakfast:
- The Holiday Breakfast will be Sat, Dec 7 with seatings at 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30. Volunteer and ticket information will be coming home with students soon.
- Secret Shop:
- Wish list envelopes will be sent home with students shortly. Those attending the Secret Shop should fill out the envelope before the event to aid Santa’s Elves who will help the students shop.
- Donations of gift tags and tape are needed the week of November 11 to help the committee to pre-wrap gifts and supply the gift wrapping station at the event.
- Craft donations are being accepted through Tues, Dec 3.
- The Jog-A-Thon event raised $10,507 exceeding its goal!
- LSE reusable shopping bags will be on sale outside the Holiday Secret Shop on Sat, Dec 7.
- Upcoming Spirit Night at Mamma’s Pizza on Thur, Nov 14. Receipt collection boxes will be throughout the restaurant and the dining room will also be open.
- Ms. Booze thanked the PTO for…
- SWEBS dance party recognizing the students’ great behavior during the first marking period.
- The cookies and milk provided by the PTO for the recent Kindergarten Literacy Night.
SWEB’S / PRINCIPAL’S REPORT
- Parent Teacher Conferences will be held Nov 25-26. Please reserve a time slot with your child’s teacher via the online portal or call the school office to schedule.
- Kindergarten Literacy Night was a great success. Approx 75 families were in attendance.
- The students enjoyed the SWEBS dance party held to recognize their great behavior.
- Blue Ribbon News:
- The banner ordered for the front of the school was mis-printed. A new banner has been ordered and should be hung this week.
- Mr. Carl and Mrs. Warner will be traveling to Washington, DC Nov 18-19 to attend workshops and the award ceremony presented by the Department of Education.
- Nov 25 will be a day of celebration starting with a catered luncheon provided by Chartwell’s for distinguished guests and local/state government officials. The luncheon will be followed by a school-wide assembly at 1:15pm. Due to space restrictions, attendance will be limited to students, staff, invited guests and the PTO Leadership Board. The event will be recorded and available online for later viewing. The Ward family will be performing musical selections. Student representatives from each class are being selected for a special presentation and the student body is working on a special song.
- Nov 11 – Kindergarten/1st gr Math Night
- Nov 21-26 – Book Fair
- Nov 25 – Parent Teacher Conferences 5-8pm (school in session)
- Nov 26 –Parent Teacher Conferences 12-8pm (no school)
- Nov 27 – No School (1/2 day teacher in-service)
- Nov 28 – No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- Nov 29 – No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- Dec 2 – No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- Blue Ribbon Recognition Dinner: The event will be held on March 28 with the location TBD. Current and retired staff (from the past 5 years) and their guest will be invited to a catered dinner. The cost is approx $15/plate ($3500). The cost will hopefully be offset by the selling of ‘shout-outs’ to be printed in a special program. Special messages will be sold for $5 each. Childcare for those in attendance is also being planned.
- Kid’s Bingo Event: A new event is being planned for possibly January for students (with parent supervision) to attend and play bingo. Each child would receive a prize in addition to game prizes.
PARENT ADVISORY GROUP No meeting held
DATES TO REMEMBER
November 8 – Early Dismissal @ 11:40am (no lunch served)
November 11 – Kindergarten/1st gr Math Night
November 14 – Spirit Night @ Mamma’s Pizza
November 21-26 – Book Fair
November 25 – Parent Teacher Conferences 5-8pm (school in session)
November 26 –Parent Teacher Conferences 12-8pm (no school)
November 27-Dec 2 – No School (Thanksgiving Break)
December 7 – Holiday Breakfast & Secret Shop
December 9 – PTO Meeting @ 7pm in school library
December 20 – Early Dismissal @ 11:40am (no lunch served)
December 23-Jan 1 – No School
Submitted by Jen Baumgartner……………………………………..Recording Secretary